Wednesday, January 13, 2016

2016 Preview


Seen From My WindowCamera: X-T1 Focal Length: 164mm Exposure: 1/180 f/9 ISO1000
Now that I'm all caught up on last year's work, the holidays are behind us, and January is in full swing, it is time to look to 2016 and it appears that it's going to be a busy and exciting year.  Last year we kind of over did the travel sessions in the Spring so by the time Summer rolled around we were burned out and the thought of packing a bag sounded about as attractive as a root canal.  So, this year we decided on a plan that would have handful of longer trips, but space out the short trips to about one a month.  If you take a look over to the right of the blog you'll see what we have pencilled in for 2016.  It's still a pretty action-packed line-up.  I'm feeling confident that it's also a good balance between urban and rural and wild areas.  There's also a good mix of new spots and repeats.

We are kicking off 2016 with a little jaunt by train to Dresden this weekend.  We've passed through the city a number of times enroute to somewhere else further east and the skyline has been calling to me ever since.  After that, we're returning to our favorite restaurant in the world in Wallonia and will hopefully be poking around a few new spots in that region too.  In March, we have a really exciting venture planned.  It'll be time to throw the parkas, crampons, and thermals in the suitcase because we'll be headed to Iceland for a 5 day trip around the southern end of the island.  April will also take us to new ground with a weekend in Warsaw (or Krakow, as soon as I make up my mind).  I'm looking forward to May because we'll be heading to two very different spots that month.  First off, we'll be flying to Britain to visit some friends and enjoy the lovely countryside of Warwickshire.  I was in the area 14 years ago and am really looking forward to seeing it and our friends again.  After that, we're heading to Portugal!  We've kinda neglected Latin Europe over the years so this is the first step towards rectifying that.  I've heard wonderful things about Lisbon and I can't wait to explore and photograph this colorful city.

That'll bring us just about halfway through the year.  In June and the beginning of July, we have family visiting so this is when we'll be making our way north to Normandy again along with some other familiar spots closer to home in Germany.  Shortly after the family heads home, we'll be headed back to Italy and the lovely shores of Lake Como again for a nice week of hiking with The Dog, relaxing, and eating way too much Italian home cooking at our favorite little hotel in Italy.  Unlike the rest of the population of Europe, we'll be taking August off from traveling to spend time on the bikes and save up before we return to Akron for our annual visit.  After returning from the States, we'll again be visiting the greatest city in the world, Paris.  We haven't been in Autumn yet, so I'm really looking forward to seeing and photographing the city at that time of year.  November we'll be returning to another old favorite, Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland.  It's been a good three years since we laid our eyes on the alps of the Bernese Oberland and we've been hankering to get back.  Perhaps the weather will be decent like it was in 2012 for some hiking.  If not, we'll stay close to the valley floors and perhaps if we're lucky we'll get to see a proper snowfall.  That'll just leave December.  After two Christmases spent mostly in the home we've decided to take advantage of the holiday break this year to go away.  Our choice is Venice.  The idea of Venice in the tourist season has never appealed, but I have to admit the thought of being there for the quieter holidays sounds like a nice way to end the year and have a chance to get shots a little different from the norm.  We're also kicking around swinging over to Lake Bled in Slovenia.

Of course, man proposes and God disposes, so all of this is just tentative.  We never know what's around the corner.  Airlines and rail companies can go on strike, weather can do some crazy stuff, and all sorts of other unforeseen events can throw the schedule out the window.  But, those are the plans as of right now while I sit on the couch enjoying a view of the misty, rainy Spessart hills across the Main.

2016 is also looking to be an exciting year in regards to Fujifilm's plans for their X-Series cameras, making it an equally exciting year for those of us who shoot with them.  In a few days they are set to announce several new additions to the line including the X-Pro2, the second generation of their first groundbreaking interchangeable lens camera.  Rumors have been all over the internet about what the X-Pro2 will bring to the table.  One of the most significant upgrades is an increase in megapixel count, from 16 to 24.3.  While 16mps is completely sufficient, having that boost sounds really nice for those of us shooting and printing landscapes.  I'm not planning on getting an X-Pro2, but I am interested in how these upgrades will affect the X-T2, which supposedly will be announced this summer.  After two years of working with the X-E2 (which I love) and then adding the X-T1 in November, I've decided I prefer the handling of the SLR style body.  Having the ISO dial and the tilt screen are a huge help for what I do and I'd like to stick with that for my main body.  The X-E2 is a perfect second body to have in the bag and it is still my everyday carry camera.  Having at least two X Series interchangeable lens bodies available has been my goal for several years and now that I'm finally there I couldn't be more pleased.  I imagine as things get upgraded and new models are released, I will be switching things out over time.  But, as for 2016 I'm definitely good on cameras!  As for other gear...

Overhead shot of my everyday kit.
Camera: Fujifilm X-T1 Focal Length: 19.6mm Exposure: .6sec, f/6.4 ISO 200
When it comes to glass, I'm now in the phase where I will be upgrading what I have for the weather sealed option as they become available.  I do plan on picking up the 16-55mm lens in time for Iceland, but after that I don't have a clear schedule.  The new 35mm F2 WR lens is an attractive option because the older version of the 35mm is almost always stuck to one of my cameras.  It's the perfect choice for an everyday carry prime because it functions well in all light conditions.  But, admittedly the focus isn't the fastest on the F1.4 version and the lower profile and weather sealing are very appealing features of the new model.  Another option is the new 100-400mm lens that is also supposed to be announced on Friday.  I haven't heard much about the specs except that it too will be weather sealed.  If it also has internal zoom I'd seriously consider selling the 55-200mm in order to add this to the shelf instead.  It would be nice for the long lens not to get longer as it zooms, plus when I do use the 55-200 it is almost always at 200mm. Being able to go further would make a lot of shots much easier to achieve.  Lastly, I would really like a weather sealed super wide-angle.  If they redo the 10-24mm that would jump to the top of the list.  But, it's not even on their roadmap right now so there's no point in planning for it just yet.  So far, the only for sure X-Series acquisition will be the 16-55mm.

Thankfully, 2016 is the first year I don't have any gear on my needs list.  I feel really pleased with my current set up, not just in cameras and glass, but also with bags, tripod, etc.  I was given a ONA Prince Street bag for Christmas (shown above) and it is with huge relief that I can announce the end of the leather camera bag quest.  It is exactly what I was looking for as an everyday bag.  Between it, the ThinkTank Retrospective 7, ThinkTank Airport Essentials, Pompidoo Miami, and Hama Daytour, all my carry situations finally have a solution.  Yes, I do have a bag collecting problem.  So, that just leaves perhaps a filter or some other small bit of gear if anything to pick up this year.  Fujifilm is announcing a new flash on Friday as well and I'm kinda interested to see what the word is on that.  I never use flash since it's not needed for scenic or street work, but I do have an interest in branching out to flash for certain occasions like gatherings or shooting still life's.  Of course, I don't need to use a Fuji flash (and their rep hasn't been the best), but the coming announcement has me thinking that they're starting to take flash more seriously.  

Anyway, for now I don't need to pick anything up this year besides the 16-55mm.  I'm going to keep a finger on the pulse of the development though and be ready to move on the next best thing for what I'm doing when the time comes.

As for general photographic goals I have a few ideas of things to pursue.  I am really surprised, thankful, and pleased by the how well received my calendars were.  To everyone who purchased a copy, thank you, thank you! I'm even more surprised to see they're still popular halfway through January!  So, I will be planning the 2017 calendar all year and looking for those shots worthy to represent a month.  Pursuing and learning the world of street photography with more dedication is another goal for the year.  While my mornings and evenings will still be allotted for scenic shots, I want to take the time to get those magic documentary moments on our travels too.  I feel particularly passionate about this since it is an endangered genre.  So, I need to push back against insecurity and trepidation to capture those moments because, in my opinion, they are just as if not more valuable than the scenic shots.  In relation to that, I also want to make a more concerted effort to document the everyday, the gatherings with friends, and the mundane moments at home.  Those times are just as significant in our lives as those in which we stand in the midst of a new city or on a mountain trail.  That desire has me thinking about things like flashes.

Anyway, these are the things running through my head for 2016.  First and foremost, besides locations and gear and projects, my ultimate goal is to keep learning and to keep improving!  I hope everyone who graciously stops by the website, the shop, my Instagram feed, my Flickr, and this blog has a safe, adventurous, inspiring, and blessed 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment