Friday, December 9, 2016

For the Love of the X70

I don't usually talk about gear on this blog. Once I got over my initial case of gear fixation, I've mostly tried to focus on the process instead of the tools. But, as my father always says, "To do the job right, your need the proper tools." Today I wanted to talk about one of my favorite tools, the Fujifilm X70.



I've been working exclusively with the Fujifilm X Series cameras for about 2 years now (my gear list can be found on the right of blog page). It only took about 6 months after picking up my X-E2 to decide I wanted to switch entirely over that system from Canon. Everyone is different on what they want in a system, just like everyone is different in what they want in a car (or no car at all!). For me, there were a few factors in deciding to switch to the X-Series. First of all, there was the size. Being mirrorless, most of the set ups pack down way smaller than what I had going on with my mid-size DSLR. Secondly, there was the glass quality. Every single lens Fujifilm puts out is professional grade, there's none of this entry level junk. Fuji's lenses are top of the line, solid, sharp, and fast. Thirdly, and this is probably the biggest selling point for me, the X Series is made for those who love shooting manual. The designs hearken back to analog. Instead of menus, there are dials, beautiful, wonderful dials. I wasn't a photographer in the film age, but I have a deep appreciation for the medium. And, the X Series cameras honor that, not only in the design and functionality, but also with the Fujifilm film simulations you can apply in camera or in post. Bottom line, using the X Series system is a blast.

Last September, while we were in Akron, my husband surprised me one morning with a box from B&H Photo Video. Nestled inside the packing material and assorted free oddments, sat one of those lovely black boxes Fujifilm packages their X Series in. I have to admit, I was quite taken aback. I had just two days prior, picked up the long anticipated X-T2 (fabulous, fabulous camera, by the way). I certainly wasn't planning on adding another camera to the fleet already. But, inside that black box was the wee X70 and that was kind of a big deal.

You see, I had been searching for a pocketable camera on and off for a couple of years. I had toyed with the idea of the beautiful X100T, but it measures a bit too large for a pocket camera (at least for the diminutive pockets they put in most women's clothing). One of my main desires was to find something that would fit in a cycling jersey pocket. My old iPhone is all well and good for messaging funny pet pictures to the fam or snapping the local bus schedule for later reference, but it can't hold up to a real lens for any serious photography (I'm sorry, it can't). I looked at other brands like Sony and Nikon, but I really wasn't keen on either's design and functionality in this range. Plus, after using my X-E2 alongside a Canon, I really, really didn't want to add a different system into the mix again. The amount of shots lost due to system switch confusion was a little ridiculous in those days. Anyway, when Fujifilm released the X70, the idea of adding a small pocket camera to the collection didn't seem like a lost cause anymore. 

And so, out of the blue, I now had one! I named it Baby. All the cameras have names, yes. With all the X this and X that it's easier to keep them straight. Before long, what was intended to be a cycling camera became my everyday carry camera. It comes out on dog walks with me, to the grocery store, and all the other times when I want to have a camera, but don't need or want to carry a bag.

Captured with my X70 while out walking The Dog.
I honestly didn't expect to love this camera as much as I do. Here's why it's stolen my heart.

1. Size- while a bit larger than some other models in that market, it fits nicely in my jacket pockets and jersey pockets. It is small and light enough to fit in the bag with other bodies if I want a backup.

2. Design- most cameras of this sort keep the dials and knobs to a minimum, with setting customization being limited and only found in menus. The X70 sticks with the X Series honor of manual control. Your basic functions can all be controlled quickly and easily on the body like the majority of the other X Series cameras. Aperture is found on the lens, exposure and exposure compensation are controlled on the dials, and ISO can be assigned to one of the buttons.

3. That flip screen- Arguably, Fujifilm has always been weak on this feature. All of the early model X series had fixed LCD screens. I generally shoot with a viewfinder, but I found the lack of an articulated LCD very trying when I wanted a more unique perspective or when I was shooting from a tripod. That problem is why I went with the X-T line for my workhorses over the X-Pros. Anyway, the X70 has a pretty advanced screen. It can flip into selfie position, which means we now have a couple pictures together for a change. It is also a touch screen. It can be set to select a focus point or to take the shot. I usually have it set for focus since that's a heck of a lot faster than the select buttons. Since the X70 doesn't have a viewfinder, the advanced LCD makes up for it.

4. Full functionality- It has the same capabilities as the X-E2 like bracketing, burst, time lapse, WiFi, video, detailed display, etc. There is no reason why it can't be the only camera on you. Plus, if I want to pass it over to my husband or someone else, I can just flip it into Auto and they don't have to worry about anything. The JPEGs come out top notch, just as you would expect from Fujifilm.

5. Fixed lens- This may be a deal breaker for a lot of people, but I love the fixed focal length. It's a nice wide 18.5mm f/2.8 meaning it's a great all rounder. It is bright and unobtrusive, making it perfect for street photographers. It is wide and sharp for scenery. It gets out of the way, and let's you craft the image.

Because it's the size of my iPhone the X70 is the only camera The Dog allows me to get close to him with. 
Now for the downside. Rumor has it that Sony quit making the 16mps sensor and that means Fujifilm will be discontinuing a lot of their cameras that used that sensor. That includes the X70. That's pretty sad since it hasn't been on the market for even a year yet. I love this little camera and I'm really disappointed that Fujifilm may not be continuing with it. Hopefully, it doesn't mean they will be scrapping the 16mps models completely by ending firmware updates too. Only time will tell. Of course, there's always the small chance those lines will be rebooted with a new sensor. Who knows at this point since the discontinuation is still just a rumor (although stock is disappearing from some stores in Europe and Japan). While certainly not a flagship, the X70 definitely filled a need for a lot of photographers and its performance has given it top marks from reviewers. I for one will always be a fan and will continue to use Baby until it dies. 

Of course, the one bright side of this is that the price will significantly drop on the X70 if it is discontinued. For now, Amazon.com and B&H still have them fully in stock so if an official announcement is made, they will probably be discounted significantly. Amazon DE and Amazon UK are low on stock (UK is out of silver), so there may very well be something to the rumor. However, I've found Amazon DE sellers generally don't keep a large stock of photo equipment anyway. Be that as it may, this may be the opportunity to take advantage of a great deal caused by a series of unfortunate events. For those who love manual shooting or want to learn it or whole love fixed lens bodies or who want to broaden their photography by using one, the X70 is a fantastic little camera and would make a great gift this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment